Tomorrow morning the Tory Mayor of London Boris John is closing 10 fire stations across London. He is axing 10 fire stations, 14 fire engines and 552 firefighters.
These disgraceful, reckless cuts put Londoners at risk. Islington residents are particularly affected by the closure of Clerkenwell fire station and Kingsland fire station. Historic Clerkenwell fire station boarders the City of London and is significant in terms of responding to potential terrorist attacks. Local residents are appalling that the Tory Mayor is forcing its closure.
There are a number of demonstrations taking place from 8.30am on 9 January opposing the cuts to the London Fire Brigade. These demonstrations also give residents the opportunity to thank our firefighters for risking their lives to protect us. Protests will take place outside the following stations:
- Belsize: 36 Lancaster Grove, NW3 4PB
- Bow: 64 Parnell Road, E3 2RU
- Clerkenwell: 44-44 Rosebery Avenue, EC1R 4RN
- Downham: 260 Reigate Road, BR1 5JN
- Kingsland: 333 Kingsland Road, E8 4DR
- Southwark: 94 Southwark Bridge Road, SE1 0EG
- Woolwich: 24 Sunbury Street, Woolwich, SE18 5LU
A large contingent from the Islington Labour Party will be protesting the closure of Clerkenwell Fire Station. Please come and join us if you can.