The St Peter’s Labour Councillors have been very busy speaking with local residents, holding roving advice surgeries and talking about the difference the Labour Council has made to ordinary people in Islington.
Times are tough for everyone right now, but even with massive government cuts the Labour Council has been working hard to make life better for our community. Popular Council policies that really make a difference include:
- Giving free school meals to all our primary school children
- Paying all Council workers the London Living Wage or more
- Building more affordable housing for Islington families
- Giving bursaries to young people to help them stay in education and go to 6th form colleges
- Working with local business to create more jobs and apprenticeships for local people
- Giving pensioners money off their Council tax
- Helping people save money on their heating bills through innovative schemes like Bunhill Heat and Power
My fantastic ward colleagues Cllr Gary Doolan, Cllr Martin Klute and I really enjoy the opportunities to meet and speak with people in St Peter’s . This weekend we were delighted to be joined by fellow Islington Labour Councillors, activists, Council Leader Richard Watts and London MEP candidate Lucy Anderson.
We also enjoyed spectacular views of the city from some our housing blocks!